The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) 187 visa is a permanent employer sponsored visa which requires a job offer in a Regional Area of Australia.
RSMS Application Stages
There are three stages to an RSMS application:
- RCB Certification: the Regional Certifying Body will ensure that the position is genuine and in many cases require that the position has been advertised
- Nomination: review of the business and position by the Department of Immigration
- Visa application: there are three streams and generally the skill level is lower than for the ENS program.
There are three streams for an RSMS 187 visa:
- Temporary Residence Transition: where applicants have worked with the employer on a 457 visa for the last 2 years. In this case, no RCB certification is required.
- Direct Entry Stream: the position will need to be certified by an RCB.
- Agreement Stream: where the employer has a Labour Agreement
Benefits of Applying for RSMS over ENS visa
The requirements for RSMS are more straightforward than ENS in a number of important ways:
- The employer does not need to meet the training requirement
- The visa applicant requires a lower level of skill for the Direct Entry Stream – most applicants do not require a skills assessment, and there is no minimum work experience requirement
- It is possible to apply for RSMS in a wider range of occupations than ENS
- Applications for a 187 RSMS are processed before other skilled migration visas, thus reducing waiting times
Contact us to get advice about how to avoid the main pitfalls employers face when obtaining RSMS visas.